Home | Highway Listings | Other Highways | Trunk Highway System Map | In Depth: News & Articles | About this Site

 

Highways 120 through 129

STH-120 | STH-121 | STH-122 | STH-123 | STH-124 | STH-125 | STH-126 | STH-127 | STH-128 | STH-129 | Jump to Bottom


STH-120

Southern Terminus:

Illinois state line (connection w/IL SR-47) near Zenda, six miles south of Lake Geneva

Northern Terminus:

I-43 at Exit 36 in East Troy

Length:

21.34 miles

 

Map:

Route Map of STH-120

 

Notes:

STH-120 is a rather short trunkline route, existing wholly within the boundaries of Walworth Co, running north-south from East Troy to the Illinois state line via Lake Geneva. The current highway, which comes within a few miles of touching STH-20 at East Troy, actually bears no relation to its perceived "parent" route, however the first iteration of this designation (see below) was connected with STH-20.

 

History:

In c.1919 the first iteration of STH-120 came into being when a new state trunk highway route was commissioned up the eastern shore of Lake Winnebago, beginning at STH-56 (later STH-31, now US-151) at Brothertown and continuing northerly via modern-day STH-55 to present-day CTH-S south of Sherwood, then easterly via CTH-S to a terminus at STH-114 southeast of Sherwood. The first STH-120 was gone within four years when the route was supplanted in its entirety by a northerly extension of STH-55 from Fond du Lac toward the Fox Cities.

 

 

In c.1923, when the second iteration of STH-120 debuted, STH-20 ran along present-day STH-11 from the Mississippi River at Dubuque, Iowa easterly through Monroe, Janesville, Delavan and Elkhorn to Burlington, then northerly to Rochester and then easterly again via its present route into Racine. In c.1923, a new state trunkline highway was assumed into the system, linking Burlington with Racine directly via Union Grove and Sturtevant and was given the designation STH-120, very likely as it provided an alternate to the existing STH-20 route from Burlington into Racine via Rochester. This is rather odd, in that three-digit state trunk highway routes of the time were generally assigned in sequential order and bore no "parent-child" relationship. In 1933, however, after only a decade in existence, STH-11 was reconstituted along its modern-day alignment across southern Wisconsin, supplanting all of STH-20 west of Burlington and all of STH-120, from Burlington easterly.

 

 

Approximately one year after the second iteration of STH-120 ended, the third began. What had been CTH-G from US-12 in downtown Lake Geneva southerly to the Illinois state line was transferred to state control and was designated STH-120. At this point, STH-120 and STH-20 were separated by 17 miles (STH-20 ended at Rochester in this timeframe) and, as such, no connection between these two routes can be inferred. In c.1988, STH-120 was extended northerly from Lake Geneva along a portion of STH-36 and CTH-G to end at East Troy, near STH-20.

 

 

Construction began in September 2002 on a 4.4-mile long, $7.1 million southeastern bypass of the City of Lake Geneva to help alleviate congestion in the city, especially during peak tourism periods, and to remove through trunkline traffic from the downtown area. As part of the bypass project, STH-120 itself was rerouted southeasterly via US-12 from Exit 328 to Exit 330, then westerly a short distance via STH-50 to Edwards Blvd. The bypass itself consisted of an upgrade to the existing four-lane Edwards Blvd from STH-50 southerly to N Bloomfield Rd, then a new four-lane facility southerly to CTH-H where the bypass narrows down to a two-lane cross-section following the former Westside Rd southwesterly to a broad curve westerly onto existing Willow Rd back to existing STH-120. The former STH-120 through Lake Geneva, which followed Lakeshore Dr, Broad St, Williams St and Sheridan St, was removed from the state trunkline system.
      According to WisDOT, "The project included a new two-lane bridge on West Side Road over Nippersink Creek, traffic islands and new signals at the intersection of WIS 120/WIS 50, new signals at WIS 120/County H, and reconstruction of WIS 120 intersections with Bloomfield, Willow and Town Line Roads and WIS 50 to provide safer turning movements. A paved pedestrian/bicycle path was constructed along the bypass between County H and WIS 50." A ribbon-cutting ceremony was held on November 6, 2003 to mark the completion of the Lake Geneva bypass project.

 

Freeway:

Concurrently with US-12 at Lake Geneva between Exits 328 and 330. (~1.3 miles)

 

Expressway:

None.

 

NHS:

Concurrently with STH-50 and US-12 in the Lake Geneva area: From the west jct of STH-50 & STH-120 in Lake Geneva easterly via STH-50 to US-12, then northerly via US-12 to the northern jct of US-12 & STH-120 northeast of Lake Geneva.

 

Continue on:

IL SR-47 South into Illinois - via Rich Carlson's Illinois Highways Page.
Illinois State Route 47 - Charles Sarjeant's Illinois Highways Ends website.

 

Photographs:

 

 

Weblinks:

State, local officials cut ribbon on newly constructed Lake Geneva bypass - from WisDOT.


STH-121

Western Terminus:

STH-88 in Gilmanton

Eastern Terminus:

STH-95, 1.7 miles miles west of downtown Alma Center

Length:

45.07 miles

 

Map:

Route Map of STH-121

 

Notes:

STH-121 is a state trunkline meandering across the northern portion of the Driftless Zone, from eastern Buffalo Co, across Trempealeau Co and into northwest Jackson Co.

 

History:

The first iteration of STH-121 debuted in c.1919 along the route of present-day STH-23 from STH-29 (now CTH-XX) at Briggsville northeasterly to STH-10 (later US-51, now CTH-CX) south of Endeavor. This first routing of STH-121 lasted only a few years, being replaced by an extension of STH-23 from Packwaukee to Endeavor, then southwesterly through Kilbourn (now Wisconsin Dells) and Lake Delton toward Reedsburg.

 

 

The second iteration of STH-121 was in c.1923 along its present alignment as a short connector route from STH-93 at Independence to STH-11 (now US-53) at Whitehall. In 1948, two county trunk highway segments in the general vicinity of STH-121 were added to the state highway system. From STH-88 at Gilmanton, CTH-B easterly to STH-93 north of Independence becomes part of STH-121 with the route dualling with STH-93 southerly into Independence to meet up with existing STH-121. To the east, CTH-A from STH-27 (present-day CTH-FF) in Northfield westerly to US-53 in Pigeon Falls also becomes part of STH-121, with seven miles of of US-53 between Pigeon Falls and Whitehall concurrently designated with STH-121 to complete the route. With the completion of I-94 through the area in 1967, STH-121 was extended easterly for 8.5 miles: 1.5 miles along what had been part of STH-27 from Northfield easterly, then for seven miles along CTH-A to its present terminus at STH-95 west of Alma Center.

 

Freeway/Expwy:

None.

 

NHS:

Concurrently with STH-93 from Independence northerly three miles.

 

Photographs:

 

 

Weblinks:

• None.


STH-122

Southern Terminus:

STH-77 in Upson

Northern Terminus:

Michigan state line at the Montreal River, four miles north of Saxon at a connection w/Gogebic CR-505

Length:

14.69 miles

 

Map:

Route Map of STH-122

 

Notes:

STH-122 is one of four "unanswered state trunkline connections" along the Wisconsin/Michigan state line. Each state sends two highways to the line which do not become state highways on the other side, with this one and STH-17 being the two from Wisconsin which have no counterpart in Michigan. Wisconsin may have been anticipating an eventual Michigan state highway connection, though, because for many years, Michigan planned a state highway to run along the Lake Superior coastline from the Montreal River (state line) to Silver City. This plan, however, never came to fruition and was dropped from consideration by the 1950s.

 

History:

STH-122 debuted in c.1919 as a short connector route between STH-18 (later US-10, now STH-96/Wisconsin Ave) west of Appleton running northwesterly along present-day CTH-GV and STH-15 to Greenville, where it terminated at STH-39 (which later became STH-26 then US-45 in this area, now STH-76 south of Greenville and STH-15 northwest of Greenville). In c.1923, a new trunkline route was commissioned running northerly from Greenville, designated STH-76, and STH-39 in the area was redesignated as STH-26, and since STH-122 and STH-76 shared a common terminus, all of STH-122 was supplanted by the STH-76 designation.

 

 

The next version of STH-122 began as the first one ended, with that designation being applied to a new trunk highway route from STH-77 at Upson northerly to STH-10 (now US-2) south of Saxon in c.1923. In c.1928-29, the route from Saxon northerly to the Montreal River (Michigan state line) was brought into the state highway system and STH-122 was extended along the new route.

 

Freeway/Expwy:

None.

 

Circle Tour:

Lake Superior Circle Tour LOOP : From jct US-2 at Saxon northerly to the Michigan state line at the Montreal River.

 

Photographs:

 

 

Weblinks:

• None.


STH-123

Southern Terminus:

Entrance to Devils Lake State Park, at jct CTH-DL south of Baraboo

Northern Terminus:

Jct STH-33 & STH-113 in downtown Baraboo (cnr Broadway St & 8th Ave)

Length:

3.00 miles

 

Map:

Route Map of STH-123

 

Notes:

STH-123 primarily serves as an access route from downtown Baraboo to Devils Lake State Park.

 

 

For the final three blocks of each, STH-113 and STH-123 share a route, ending at a common terminus at STH-33/8th Ave. Until 1998, STH-113 entered Baraboo from the southeast via Water St to Walnut St, northerly on Walnut for one block, jogging westerly at 1st Ave and northerly again via Ash St for four blocks, turning westerly via 5th Ave-St for two blocks to STH-123/Broadway St then northerly with STH-123 along Broadway to a common terminus at STH-33/8th Ave. That year the northerly turn at Walnut was removed and STH-113 was designated to continue westerly via Water St to STH-123/Broadway, then concurrently with STH-123 for the eight blocks to the joint terminus at STH-33. It is unclear whether these changes were ever signed in the field as official sources from the very next year, 1999, show STH-113 restored to its previous Water-Walnut-1st-Ash-5th-Broadway route.

 

History:

STH-123 dates from c.1919 when a state trunk highway was commissioned from downtown Baraboo at STH-12 (later US-12) out to Devils Lake south of town. In 1936, STH-123 was extended northerly to end at STH-33 when US-12 was rerouted west of Baraboo on a new bypass routing. Since then, the route has remained generally the same.

 

Freeway/Expwy:

None.

 

Photographs:

 

 

Weblinks:

Devils Lake State Park - state park website from the Wisconsin DNR.


STH-

Southern Terminus:

Jct US-53 & CTH-OO in the Village of Lake Hallie, between Chippewa Falls and Eau Claire

Northern Terminus:

STH-64 five miles north of Eagleton and five miles east of Bloomer in central Chippewa County

Length:

17.59 miles

 

Map:

Route Map of STH-124
Map of Greater Eau Claire & Chippewa Falls Area

 

Notes:

This highway grew into something much more than it was originally intended to be! From a short, two-mile long connector route in rural Chippewa Co to an almost thirty-mile long thoroughfare traversing two of western Wisconsin's largest cities and running along a four-lane urban expressway, now to a nearly 18-mile long route having been truncated in late-2005. The complete history of the STH-124 designation can be found under the history section below.

 

 

Updated In late November 2005, the length of STH-124 was nearly halved as part of the route designation change fallout due to the US-53 "Eau Claire Bypass" construction. When the entire bypass freeway was completed in August 2006, WisDOT removed US-53 from the former route along Hastings Way and will turn that highway over to local control between US-12 and CTH-OO. Since STH-124 dualled with US-53 along Hastings Way from CTH-OO southerly to the North Crossing interchange and since there is no direct connection between the new US-53 freeway and STH-124 south of Chippewa Falls, WisDOT had little choice but to truncate STH-124 back to CTH-OO and to give the North Crossing at Eau Claire a new designation. The STH-312 route markers along the North Crossing replaced the STH-124 ones in late November 2005. See Map of Greater Eau Claire & Chippewa Falls Area.

 

History:

In c.1920, STH-124 was the proposed designation along a state trunk highway under development from STH-24 (now STH-77 and US-63) at Hayward, running west-northwesterly to STH-11 (now BUS US-53) in Minong. This was unique in that Wisconsin's three-digit state highways (e.g. STH-124) largely had nothing to do with their two-digit (e.g. STH-24) counterparts in those days. This arrangement didn't last long, however, as the STH-27 designation was applied to the Hayward-to-Minong highway by 1924, and the STH-124 routing was transferred onto a short two-mile highway running from STH-11 (later US-53, now CTH-SS) north of Eagleton to STH-64.

 

 

With the completion of the US-53 freeway from Chippewa Falls to north of Bloomer in 1972, fifteen additional miles of the former US-53 were tacked onto the south end of STH-124, increasing its length by 750 percent. STH-124 now ran southerly through downtown Chippewa Falls, ending at US-53 south of the city. Then in 1994 when Eau Claire's "North Crossing" was completed and WisDOT needed a state highway designation for the new highway, STH-124 was extended southwesterly via US-53 to the new facility where it turned westerly along the North Crossing to US-12, continuing with that highway to a terminus at I-94.

 

 

As detailed above, however, just over a decade later with the first portions of the US-53 "Eau Claire bypass" freeway opening to traffic, STH-124 was truncated back to Lake Hallie in late November 2005 in preparation for the eventual turnback of Hastings Way from Eau Claire into Lake Hallie to local control. The North Crossing at Eau Claire from I-94 on the west to jct US-53 & BYP US-53 at Hastings Way was redesignated as STH-312.

 

Freeway:

None.

 

Expressway:

From southern terminus at US-53 & CTH-OO in Lake Hallie to the Chippewa River Bridge, Chippewa Falls.

 

NHS:

From southern terminus at US-53 & CTH-OO in Lake Hallie to north jct of BUS STH-29 (River St) in downtown Chippewa Falls.

 

Photographs:

New! BYPASS US-53 Photos, November 4, 2005 - a set of 23 photos on two pages.

 

Weblinks:

US-53 Project - from WisDOT: "The four-lane, divided highway will extend from the US 53/Golf Road interchange area in the city of Eau Claire to a new WIS 29/US 53 interchange in the Chippewa County village of Lake Hallie. This project represents an estimated $94 million investment in Wisconsin's transportation system."

 

 

New! Highway 53 Homepage - from the Eau Claire Leader-Telegram,an excellent website with eight pages of special coverage, a "By the Numbers" section, timeline and photo gallery.

 

 

North Crossing to get new highway number in Eau Claire - press release from WisDOT.


STH-125

Western Terminus:

US-41 at Exit 137 west of Appleton (southeast of the Fox River Mall)

Eastern Terminus:

Downtown Appleton at STH-47 (cnr of College Ave & Richmond St-Memorial Dr)

Length:

2.62 miles

 

Map:

Route Map of STH-125

 

Notes:

STH-125, known as College Ave for its entire length, formerly carried the locally-designated BUS US-41 into downtown Appleton. STH-125 also runs parallel to, and 7/10th mile south of, STH-96/Wisconsin Ave for its entire length.

 

 

There have been rumors that this highway is a ripe candidate for a jurisdictional transfer to local authorities.

 

History:

The first STH-125 routing debuted in c.1920 at Ashland. Beginning at STH-112 (later, in part, US-2) at Ashland Jct west of Ashland, STH-125 proceeded easterly along what is now a substantially-abandoned road north of the former Burlington Northern RR line, ending at STH-10/STH-13 (now US-2/STH-13) on the west side of Ashland. By 1924, the routings of STH-125 and STH-112 had been swapped, with STH-125 running north from Ashland Junction (at what is now US-2) to STH-10 (now CTH-G). By 1930, this segment was once again designated STH-112, and the STH-125 designation was shifted to the Appleton area.

 

 

At Appleton, STH-125 began at STH-150 (now CTH-II) just northwest of Menasha, and proceeded north underneath the present-day routing of US-41 to Prospect Ave, then northeasterly along Prospect Ave to end at US-10/US-41 at Memorial Dr. In 1938, when US-41 was routed to the west of Appleton using STH-125's southern half, STH-125 was scaled back to a terminus at US-41 at the present-day CTH-BB interchange (Exit 136). In 1953, the state and local governments "swapped" roads, with Prospect Ave being turned back to local control and College Ave from US-41 west of Appleton to US-10/Badger Ave being transferred to state control as STH-125. Then in 1961, STH-125 was extended easterly for three blocks along College Ave to a new terminus at STH-47/Richmond St-Memorial Dr.

 

Freeway/Expwy:

None.

 

NHS:

Entire route.

 

Photographs:

 

 

Weblinks:

• None.


STH-

Southern Terminus:

STH-81 five miles south of Belmont (11 miles west of Darlington)

Northern Terminus:

US-151 at Exit 26 on the north side of Belmont

Length:

5.7 miles

 

Map:

Route Map of STH-126

 

Notes:

STH-126 is a short connecting highway in western Lafayette Co and also serves the downtown district of Belmont, formerly served by US-151.

 

 

Nearly an additional mile of length was tacked onto the northern end of STH-126 when the US-151 freeway between Belmont and Platteville was completed and opened to traffic on August 25, 2004. The route was extended northerly through downtown Belmont via the former US-151, then northwesterly along CTH-G to the new Belmont interchange.

 

History:

STH-126 debuted in c.1923 along its present alignment from STH-61 (present-day STH-81) south of Belmont to STH-23 (later US-151) in Belmont. The highway saw very little change until the completion of the US-151"Belmont Bypass" in 2003-2004.

 

 

A new alignment for CTH-G northwest of Belmont was constructed as part of the freeway bypass project and for a time in 2003-2004, the US-151 freeway approaching Belmont from the northeast terminated at the new alignment of CTH-G and travelled southeasterly into Belmont and the former route of US-151. Once the Belmont-Platteville segment of the new US-151 freeway was completed and opened to traffic in August 2004, STH-126 was extended northerly through downtown Belmont along what had been US-151, then northwesterly via the new CTH-G alignment (which had been signed as US-151 from 2003-2004) to terminate at the new freeway interchange north of town.

 

Freeway/Expwy:

None.

 

Photographs:

 

 

Weblinks:

US 151 expansion - Dickeyville to Dodgeville - from WisDOT: "US 151 is an important roadway connecting the major Midwest cities of Dubuque, Iowa, and Madison, Wisconsin. US 151 is identified as a backbone corridor in the WisDOT Corridors 2020 Plan, which allocates high priority funding to highways connecting major regions and economic centers."


STH-127

Western Terminus:

STH-16 one mile southeast of jct STH-13/STH-23 & STH-16 in Wisconsin Dells

Eastern Terminus:

STH-16 just west of I-39 at Exit 89 on the northwest side of Portage

Length:

14.16 miles

 

Map:

Route Map of STH-127

 

Notes:

STH-127 is basically a parallel alternate route to STH-16, adding three miles.

 

 

It has been rumored that STH-127 is one of several Wisconsin state trunkline highways being eyed for jurisdictional transfer back to local control.

 

History:

The STH-127 designation dates to c.1923, but originated in Wood Co, beginning at STH-54 in Dexterville and running northerly via modern-day STH-80 to STH-73 at Pittsville. In 1942, the entire route of STH-127 was supplanted by an extension of STH-80, bringing to an end the first iteration of STH-127. In 1948, US-16 was realigned onto a more direct routing between Portage and Wisconsin Dells and the old route is turned back to local control as CTH-AA and CTH-WD. Eight years later in 1956, that former routing of US-16 was then re-absorbed into the state trunk highway system and designated STH-127.

 

Freeway/Expwy:

None.

 

Photographs:

Snowplow creating a path on STH-127 - photo from WisDOT.

 

Weblinks:

• None.


STH-128

Southern Terminus:

STH-72 on the west side of Elmwood

Northern Terminus:

STH-64 at jct CTH-P, three miles east of Forest

Length:

27.04 miles

 

Map:

Route Map of STH-128

 

Notes:

This highway is a secondary route running north-south between the US-63 and STH-25 corridors in eastern Pierce and St Croix Cos.

 

History:

In c.1923, STH-128 was commissioned along the first 3.3 miles of its present routing from Elmwood northerly, then continued northwesterly along today's CTH-B for an additional 3.1 miles, ending at STH-116 (now STH-29) in Spring Valley. In 1934, STH-128 was extended northeasterly three miles with STH-29, then northerly along CTH-A (STH-128's present routing) to STH-79 (modern-day STH-170) at Glenwood City. In 1947, when STH-79 was moved to its present routing north of Boyceville, the former STH-79 from Glenwood City to STH-64 was tacked onto the STH-128 routing.

 

 

In c.1993-94, a "route swap" of sources takes place. CTH-T in Pierce and St Croix Cos from STH-128 southeast of Spring Valley to STH-29 northeast of there is transferred to state control and becomes part of the route of STH-128, while the existing route of STH-128 from former CTH-T into Spring Valley is transferred to Pierce Co as CTH-B.

 

Freeway/Expwy:

None.

 

Photographs:

 

 

Weblinks:

• None.


STH-129

Southern Terminus:

US-61/STH-35/STH-81 two miles southeast of downtown Lancaster

Northern Terminus:

US-61 two miles northeast of downtown Lancaster

Length:

2.69 miles

 

Map:

Route Map of STH-129

 

Notes:

STH-129 was constructed as a bypass route around Lancaster for through traffic on US-61. When a bypass of a city is usually constructed, the main through route is transferred onto the new bypass and a business route or other route number (if any) is commissioned along the old route through town. In Lancaster's case, STH-129 is the bypass, while US-61 is still routed through downtown. Why US-61 was not transferred onto the bypass in unclear.

 

History:

The original routing of STH-129, while still in Grant Co, existed eight miles south of its present location. In c.1923, STH-129 was designated along a short highway beginning at STH-11/STH-35 (now US-61/STH-35) in British Hollow (now Tennyson), running southwesterly, ending at Potosi Station on the Mississippi River, just southwest of Potosi. In 1947, the entire length of STH-129 was supplanted by a portion of today's STH-133. Twelve years later in 1959, the STH-129 designation was resurrected and placed along the "Lancaster Bypass," a former county road which, at one time, carried the CTH-I designation.

 

Freeway/Expwy:

None.

 

Photographs:

 

 

Weblinks:

• None.


 

STH-120 | STH-121 | STH-122 | STH-123 | STH-124 | STH-125 | STH-126 | STH-127 | STH-128 | STH-129 | Up to Top


Home | Jump to Highway Listings:

  1-9
  10-19
  20-29
  30-39

  40-49
  50-59
  60-69
  70-79

  80-89
  90-99
  100-109
  110-119

  120-129
  130-139
  140-149
  150-159

  160-169
  170-179
  180-189
  190-199

  200-399
  400-894
  Business
  Connecting