A website as complex and detailed as the Wisconsin Highways website could never be undertaken without the aid of dozens of helpful people as well as stacks of documents, maps, books and other websites. This page attempts to credit those individuals and list those sources consulted. Any omissions are purely unintentional and will be included by dropping a line to the webmaster.
A special note about the route lengths used on this website. The lengths of each state highway route have been computed from an official WisDOT highway log database which tracks each segment of highway down to the one-thousandth of a mile. Bob Spoerl, an extremely helpful WisDOTer, has passed along this data for inclusion on this website. Many, many thanks go to Bob for making sure the route lengths on this website are as accurate as possible!
- The sources of information for the Wisconsin Highways website are many and varied. Sources from both the government and the private sector have been consulted when gathering data for these pages. A sampling of these sources appears below:
- "Official State Trunk Highway System Maps," Wisconsin Dept of Transportation, Division of Transporatation Infrastructure Development, issued annually in December.
- "Wisconsin Highways: A History of Wisconsin Highway Development 1835-1945," State Highway Commission of Wisconsin, 1947.
- "Wisconsin Highways: A History of Wisconsin Highway Development 1945-1985," Wisconsin Department of Transportation, 1989.
- "Wisconsin Official State Highway Map," Wisconsin Department of Transportation, 2015–16 edition.
- Previous editions of the "Wisconsin Official State Highway Map" from the webmaster's own personal collection, dating back to 1919.
- WisDOT's website at http://wisconsindot.gov for information, press releases, etc.
- Complete set of WisDOT County Road Maps, dated January 2015.
- "Wisconsin's Rustic Roads: A Positive Step Backward," Wisconsin Department of Transportation, 1999-2000.
- Various commercial maps and road atlases from 1917 through the present to help pinpoint highway termini and gather historical information.
- Information offered by helpful websurfers of the Wisconsin Highways website.
- Information offered by helpful individuals from WisDOT, including Mark Morrison, Robert Swartz, and especially Bob Spoerl who has been instrumental in ensuring this website has the most accurate and up-to-date information. Eternal thanks go to Bob!
- Jon Enslin has been a great help in ensuring the accuracy of this website, especially during the 2000 updates!
- Other very helpful contributors have been, in alphabetical order: Daven Howard, Michael Koerner, Kevin Robokoff, Matt Rose, and many others whom I haven't named here! (Please let me know if I've left you off this list and your name will be added!)
- Newspaper articles from papers across the state, especially the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.
- Various commercial city and county maps published by Seeger Maps, Milwaukee Map Service, Hedberg Maps, Universal Map, Rand McNally, and other publishers.
- Wisconsin's Best County Atlas, published by Cloud Cartographics, 2000.
- Wisconsin Atlas & Gazetteer, published by DeLorme, 2014 (and previous editions back to the 1990s).
- Wisconsin County Maps, published by Clarkson Map Service, Kaukauna, 1997 (and previous editions).
- Personal travels throughout the state of Wisconsin for the past third-century.
- Hundreds of other sources... (hopefully to be added here in the future)